Monday, October 27, 2014

Sad Tea Fact (From Women's Health.Gov)


I was researching anemia partly for class, when I came across a somewhat disheartening tea fact. Apparently drinking tea or coffee with a meal makes it harder for the body to absorb iron. After a brief moment of panic I did more research. Apparently most people get enough Iron that drinking tea with meals isn't a problem, but since I don eat meat it might be. This was an especially unsettling thing for me to learn because as I was doing my research I was eating my lunch and drinking tea. Now as you may know I drink tea quite frequently so it was hard for me to come to terms with this. I've also been drinking extra tea with meals lately due to the fact that the water in my house comes from a lake and tastes a bit like algae.

On a side note I've mildly disliked breaking down food into nutrients ever since I started reading Micheal Pollen. He talks about how when we do that it stops up from enjoying food and make us consume simply to fill a quota. This is very sad to me because I adore food immensely and want to enjoy it as much a possible. However, I have began to drink less tea during meals. Although I suppose a better move would be to find out if I'm actually anemic.

Source:
http://womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/anemia.html

No comments:

Post a Comment