Friday, November 29, 2013

Tea-ja Vu



In my youth I would often prepare my tea in a microwave and when I engaged in this habit late at night I was witness to a slightly annoying phenomenon. I would place a cup of water with a teabag into the microwave, I would turn on the microwave and then when the microwave finished I would be doing something else so I would put off collecting my tea. Then I would completely forget about it for a short amount of time. I would only remember the tea after thinking to myself I wish I had tea right now, then after putting another tea bag in a cup of water and opening the microwave I would discover that I  already had tea. Naturally I didn't want to put the second tea bag back, it was already wet so I would just make another cup and alternate drinking both teas. My sister and I named this phenomenon "Tea-ja Vu."

Even now in my post-microwave tea drinking I encounter similar phenomena: I usually make my first cup of tea soon after waking up. I then carry said tea with me as I leave the warm cocoon of my kitchen and attempt make my way in the world. The problem occurs when I leave my tea on the counter to steep and forget to take it with me upon leaving. I am then very tired and I usually convince myself that my best option is buying tea. I am still pleasantly surprised when I come home and my first cup of tea is there waiting for me.

(I found the image above painted on an electrical box, it seemed appropriate.)

No comments:

Post a Comment