Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Chrysanthemum Tea (From TenRen and From Asha Tea House)


My preconception of chrysanthemum tea was that it was weird. I had somewhat thoughtlessly come to this conclusion after one of my friends looked at my herbal tea sampler from TenRen and asked me if I had tried the chrysanthemum tea. I answered, "Not yet." Said friend relied, "Oh, well chrysanthemum tea is weird."

Intrigued by this response I tried the chrysanthemum tea about a week later. It was a bit weird, at least compared to your run of the mill green or black tea. Yet I found the taste strangely pleasing, especially when a form of sweetener was applied generously.

Today marked the first time I tried chrysanthemum tea unsweetened. I was taken to Asha Tea house and I couldn't decided which tea to try. I decided on an herbal tea and since there had been chrysanthemums in the short story I had read earlier chrysanthemum tea seemed like an appropriate choice. Without sweetening the chrysanthemum tea definitely had more of a general weirdness. In other words, it was slightly bitter and had a very distinct chrysanthemum flavor, but for the most part I still found it pleasing. I would recommend chrysanthemum tea to people who want to go beyond the average herbal teas, despite its color chrysanthemum tea is nothing like your standard chamomile.

(Disclaimer: the image above does not depict the process of making chrysanthemum tea. I just happened to find a chrysanthemum and I though this depiction would be aesthetically pleasing.)

No comments:

Post a Comment